Tuesday, July 26, 2011

the new normal



Dress / Shoes: Target
(the strap broke off the back, so I cut them both off to make flip flops)

It's your lucky day! 
I'm back (in this unexciting, boring, black dress)!

I'm sorry for not posting an "extended absence" and also for not for warning all you faithful "Hookers" that I would would be breaking from the inter-web for such a long time. Truthfully, I didn't know I would be gone this long!

Tomorrow marks my one week anniversary of joining Weight Watchers (standing ovation) - I've known for months that I wanted to start getting my weight under control, it's just taken me forever to finally come to the realization that I lack motivation and that an actual diet with weigh-ins / meeting / guidelines / point values /restrictions was needed for me to take it seriously. I'm sure none of you really care if I'm on WW or drugs, but I feel in a way that by me telling you, it will keep me accountable and make me follow through with my commitment to weight loss / healthy life. 

I have chosen to NOT use the scale in my house (in fact, I have asked John to hide it) so that I don't become obsessive or discouraged. Almost 2 years ago was diagnosed ADHD and prescribed medicine helping me to focus, it was around the same time that I made the drastic decision to eat a gluten free diet (for no specific reason, except that I had read somewhere that people who ate gluten had more migraine headaches), this was also the same time I discovered Ashtanga yoga  .... all this while being a stressed out college student! Needless to say all these things were a match made in weight loss heaven. In a little less than 6 months I was 54 lbs lighter, a straight 'A' student, a 'yogi' interested in learning how to teach, with no more migraine headaches. I was on top of the world.

And then I joined the (dun, dun, dun) REAL WORLD. I no longer had the ability to plan my life around my yoga schedule and no more restaurant cash to buy all my favorite organic / gluten free groceries. In the midst of moving away from home for the first time, struggling to make friends, living with John, and learning a new job, my Dad decided he wanted to leave my mom. All of these things were a recipe for a weight gain disaster! If there was a trophy for depressed eating, I would have it. I was unhappy to say the least.

It's taken time for my sisters and my mom and I to get used to our new "normal" - and for me to settle into my new life away from home, friends and routine ... but joining WW was the first step for me. I have not fully committed myself to stay on their "diet" since I have proven to myself in the past that I do KNOW HOW to loose weight and loose it in a healthy way - I'm planning to use WW as my "starting point."

I am happy to report that over the course of first week on WW I have faithfully followed and stayed within my daily point allotment. I am still able to drink (I know you all were worried) - I quickly figured out that the more exercise I get, the more I can drink. All I can say is that Remy is REAPING the benefits of this new "exercise to drink more" plan! Tomorrow is my first official weigh-in while on the "diet"- and on the bright side, if I haven't lost any weight, I've become a boss at addition and subtraction!

*If anyone knows any AWESOME WW foods, tips, tricks, etc.... hook it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment