Tuesday, October 23, 2012

hello halloween

Not so long ago my years were split into 2 categories: School and Vacation. It was as easy as that, I went to school and while everyone else was checking their syllabus for test dates and project deadlines, I would open my brand new school issued planner and begin my countdown until summer vacation, writing numbers on each day of the week and setting earmarks on holidays like Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Easter.  

These days my calendar is far less interesting, the only thing separating this week from last and next week from 5 weeks from now are work trips and expense reports. Gone are the days of my planner and the summer vacation countdown. Unfortunately, unless we get a corporate day off for a holiday, I have no idea it exists. I have the receptionist's bowl of candy and Pinterest updates to thank for reminding me of the current holiday season. After all, I live in Florida, our seasons are as simple: Hot and Warm. So while the rest of the world welcomes fall and Halloween with tall boots and pumpkin spice lattes, I have styrofoam pumpkins and acrylic paint to help put me in the holiday spirit. 

My friend Ellie found this project in the most recent issue of Country Living, and being the die-hard magazine junkie that I am (it comes with the territory), I figured it was good enough for the pages of print, it was good enough for my doorstep .... and also the perfect way to add some Halloween spirit to the front of my crib without the mess of carving a pumpkin:


Pumpkin Painting 101

Need: Acrylic paint, pumpkins (real of fake), 
paint brush, and finishing spray


Who doesn't love a chevron striped pumpkin. 
I'm sure my mailman will appreciate it :)

These probably would have turned out much better 
with some painters tape, but I didn't have any so I 
decided to freehand everything.




Once your paint dries, spray on finishing spray 
and let set overnight. 


Follow me on Instagram for project sneak peeks: magmay1010

No comments:

Post a Comment